Thursday

brittle

this recipe is an adaption of a brittle i discovered in an old issue of gourmet that i found when we were going through stacks of magazines before we moved. we are so disappointed in conde nast's decision to shut the doors of gourmet magazine and will definitely be missing our monthly inspiration, the stunning images and beautiful recipes. this brittle is a play on granola and gathers a lovely rich flavor from the combination of butter, oats and nuts - play with the combination to add your own favorite granola elements.

Maple Granola Brittle

1 cup old fashioned rolled oats
1 cup whole almonds
1/2 cup shelled sunflower seeds
1 cup dried cranberries
1 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup maple syrup
1/2 cup orange juice
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 cup unsalted butter, softened
preheat oven to 350 degrees F. on a baking sheet, spread out oats, almonds and sunflower seeds. toast for 15 minutes or until oats are pale golden, stirring often. transfer to a bowl and toss with dried cranberries.
line a baking sheet with a nonstick liner such as a silpat. in a heavy 5 quart saucepan, cook brown sugar, maple syrup, juice and salt, stirring with a wooden spoon, until mixture reaches 290 degrees F on a candy thermometer. stir in butter until melted and quickly add oat and nut mixture. immediately pour onto sheet pan and cover with a sheet of parchment. roll out brittle as thin as possible with a rolling pin. carefully peel off parchment and discard. cool to room temperature, about 30 minutes. break into large pieces and enjoy! can be stored in an airtight container for up to 2 weeks.

4 comments:

My Farmhouse Kitchen said...

Oh, this looks so good. I am going to have to try it.

I too am in mourning over the loss of Gourmet. I can't believe it.
I have read that magazine since high school....Good Bye Gourmet. I'm going to miss you.......

Michelle said...

What a great idea!
My love of good granola runs deep, so I can't wait to try this! I think I'll try adding cinnamon - do you think the high heat required for candy-making would give the cinnamon a bitter/burnt flavor?

Anonymous said...

I'm going to miss Gourmet so much!
This brittle looks amazing

Anonymous said...

I am saddened also by the closing of Gourmet.
But what a great recipe you have come upon! Can't wait to try it out.